H is for Heartache

My theme for the A to Z challenge this year is Storytelling. I'll be writing posts on what I think you need to create a good story; the posts will vary from basics that all writers use in their stories, to themes/tropes that I love to see in stories that I read, and that I use when I write.


H is for Heartache

My favourite kind of story is one that makes you really feel. When you're reading a novel, and you're so into the story that you feel like you're right there alongside the characters, experiencing their fear, their pain, their happiness.

The expression I use is a story that hurts my heart, because that's how I feel; my heart aches for these characters and the struggles that they are going through. I'm so invested in the story and the characters that when they are in pain, so am I. When they're happy, I'm happy.

This is my goal as a writer; to make my readers experience this. There's nothing like a story that stays with you long after you've read it, and makes you feel so many emotions. That's when you know it's been done properly.

Comments

  1. I don't mind angst in the middle of a story, you can almost rip my heart out, as long as you put it back by the end (I'm a sucker for happy endings) :).
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - Dragon Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love stories that make me feel something and stay with me after I've finished them. That's my goal, too, as a writer. Whenever a reader tells me my story made them cry, I cackle with glee...but only on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can make readers feel the story that way you have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find great feeling stories in Stephen King's story telling. I long for the days when I can extend my writing with enough details to push the reader like Stephen King does.

    P is for plays (includes lots of drama if you like to feel things)
    http://theglobaldig.blogspot.com/2017/04/p-is-for-plays-atozchallenge-via.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!