F is for...Fairies (or lack of) and Fairy Godmothers!

Interestingly, fairies rarely appear in fairy tales. The main reason why fairy tales are known as fairy tales is because they were very popular in France, and the French came up with the name 'Conte de Fee' to describe them, which translates into English as 'Fairy Tale'. They used to be known as 'Wonder Tales' by German people, but 'Fairy tale' became a more popular name for them.
Another reason why they are named this is because many fairy tales involve magic of some kind, which is associated with fairies.
Taken from 
Fairy Godmothers are more common in fairy tales than fairies themselves, but they are still pretty rare. The main one that will be popping up in everyone's head is the fairy godmother from Cinderella.
Taken from
Taken from 

The fairy godmother has magical powers, and usually uses them to help the protagonist of fairy stories. For example in Cinderella, the fairy godmother makes sure Cinderella looks beautiful for the ball, so as to win her prince. However in Shrek (I know it's not a conventional fairy tale, but I'm including it anyway!) the fairy godmother only does things to suit herself, and doesn't actually help the people who need help. In fact, she's quite evil!

Comments

  1. I often wished I had a fairy god-mother. She would have come in handy so many times. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too, she would have been so useful! In fact, she still would! :)

      Delete
  2. Now that you mention it, fairies do seem to be quite rare in fairytales. All I know of are the ones from Sleeping Beauty and Tinkerbell from Peter Pan lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I never realised how weird the name was before! They should be called Magic tales or something instead!

      Delete
  3. I love Tinkerbell. She's so pretty and I love green!
    the backstory to "Fairy Tales" is interesting. Something new I've learned today! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, How could this be true? I have only just decided that its a fairy's life for me and now you tell me they are making cut backs and redundancies!
    Fairies need to be in more stories - love the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, it took me ages to think of some fairy tales that actually had fairies in them! Even google couldn't find many! :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely post. I love fairy's and have Amy Browns one book on them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think there should be more fairies in stories. Enough of the elves and dragons already lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are hardly any stories (that I can think of) that have fairies in them! They definitely need their turn...maybe the light will shine on them when the vampire thing fades?

      Delete
  7. Love this post! I love this side of folk lore. Fairies are very interesting creatures. Have you read "My Unfair Godmother" by Janette Rallison? Good book!


    Elizabeth

    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't read it, I'll have to check it out, thanks! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!